Rich Kassel has been actively involved in the New York and federal environmental advocacy community since the 1990s, and is known for his creative issue-based advocacy campaigns. As leader of Capalino+Company’s Energy, Environment + Sustainability group, Rich works with companies and non-profit organizations to develop and implement low-emission, sustainable business strategies, and to facilitate the adoption of innovative building, energy, resiliency, solid waste, transportation, and water technologies, products, and projects.
Prior to joining Capalino+Company, Rich spent more than two decades working on a wide range of air, energy, climate, land use, parks, and transportation policies and projects at the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and directed the New York office of Gladstein, Neandross & Associates, a leading environmental consulting firm.
In those roles, Rich created NRDC’s “Dump Dirty Diesels” Campaign, which resulted in the clean-up of New York City’s transit buses and new federal programs to reduce diesel emissions by more than 90 percent, worked closely with the Bloomberg and de Blasio administrations on the transportation components of their PlaNYC and OneNYC programs, played a major role in the creation of the Hudson River Park, and co-founded an international organization that led the successful campaign to eliminate leaded gasoline worldwide.
Rich serves as co-chair of the NY chapter of Environmental Entrepreneurs and EPA’s Mobile Sources Technical Review Subcommittee where he advises the EPA on transportation and air quality issues. He is a frequent spokesperson or contributor to articles in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Huffington Post, and other news organizations.
- Environmental Entrepreneurs (Co-Chair, New York Chapter)
- EPA Mobile Sources Technical Review Subcommittee (Co-Chair)
- Partnership for Clean Fuels and Vehicles (Co-Founder, Advisory Group Member)
- Transportation Alternatives (Advisory Group)
- Tri-State Transportation Campaign (Board Member, Former Chair)
- New York Committee of the Regional Plan Association (Member)
- New York League of Conservation Voters (Board Member)
Awards and Honors
- City & State’s “50 over 50” Award (2019)
- German Marshal Fund, Environmental Fellowship (1997)
- Natural Gas Vehicle Association, Annual Achievement Award (1997)
- EPA Region 2, Environmental Quality Award (2002)
- EPA, Clean Diesel 10 Award (2010)
- Tri-State Transportation Campaign, Award for 20 years of leadership (2013)
- Forbes, “Green Cars: 10 People to Watch” (2008)