What You Need to Know About Governor Cuomo’s 2020 State of the State Agenda
Governor Andrew Cuomo delivered his 2020 State of the State speech on Wednesday January 8, 2020. The annual address highlights the Governor’s agenda for the coming year, this year focusing on issues ranging from climate change to education to grand infrastructure plans.
Here are the 10 things you should pay attention to:
- Combat Climate Change– Including the $3 billion ‘Restore Mother Nature’ Bond Act, the creation of a blue ribbon task force to expand electric vehicles, and expanding offshore wind facilities.
- Investing in Economic Development and Small Business in Every Region- By lowering tax rates for small businesses, investing in a 10th round of Regional Economic Development Council Funding, and streamlining the MWBE certification process.
- Continuing Economic Growth – Through tax cuts for the middle class, fighting for the full deductibility of State and Local Taxes (SALT), and legalizing cannabis.
- Rebuilding New York – Most notably includes an overhaul of Penn Station, but also involves updating the MTA bus and subway car fleet, and funding an additional round of the Upstate Airport Economic Development and Revitalization Competition.
- Opportunity Agenda – Comprised of establishing paid sick leave, expanding the Empire Child Tax Credit, and expanding employee protections to gig economy workers.
- Equality for All – Including banning the “Pink Tax”, creating a Women’s Corporate Leadership Academy, and improving the representation of women on corporate boards.
- Keeping New Yorkers Safe – Through the Hate Crime Anti-Terrorism Act, closing the rape intoxication loophole, and ensuring that individuals who commit serious crimes in other states cannot own a gun in New York.
- Education for All – Including expanding free college tuition to more middle-class families, increasing funding for Pre-K in high need districts, and lowering AP test fees for low-income students.
- Supporting LGBTQ – Through the legalization of gestational surrogacy, extending data privacy protections to LGBTQ dating apps, and addressing rates of addiction in the LGBTQ community.
- Protecting the Most Vulnerable – Through further promotion of the Kinship First Foster Care Policy, addressing veteran homelessness, and increasing and modernizing emergency response capacity.
Read Governor Cuomo’s full 2020 agenda here:
To learn more about Capalino’s Legislative + Political Affairs team and how we can help you succeed in New York City, contact Ashley Thompson DiNardo at email@example.com or 212.616.5814.
Legislative + Political Affairs Services